dirtcakes welcomes writing and art of all genres—the surreal, the 21st century, the conventional.
- we do not necessarily believe the polemic, strident, or didactic makes the best art. While an implicitly activist publication, we prefer works that say some thing before they say Something.
- we are always looking for artistic crackheads—creators capable of inducing a metaphorical skull fissure, letting new light reach the dark recesses of the brain. And the heart, of course.
- our limited budget seeks to lighten the hunger of the starving artist: Payment of $25 and 2 contributor copies will accompany all accepted artists.
- we love work in any language. Please include author-approved English translation. All text will appear in English, original language, and any other author-provided translations.
- previously published work, including publication in an online venue which provides edited image or word content, is not accepted.
- simultaneous submissions are encouraged. Please notify us upon acceptance elsewhere.
- submitting in multiple categories and themes is okay, too.
- dirtcakes acquires First Serial Rights to publish on our website, to print, and the right to keep credited work in our archives.
- dirtcakes is a homegrown and operated. Continue reading